Monday, November 15, 2010

Girl Talk does it ALL DAMN DAY


In the interest of keeping srs bznz srsly current, I figured I'd jump on this one the day it dropped. Girl Talk's first album in two years, ALL DAY, is more than an hour of continuous mash-ups of familiar songs. Basically, Greg Gillis is still up to his usual shenanigans.

You can grab ALL DAY for free from Illegal Art (or here if the servers are busy).

While ALL DAY opens a bit lackluster (how can you beat the way "Int'l Players' Anthem" kicks off Feed the Animals?), it quickly hits the usual GT mark. SRS DUDES, I encourage you to highlight your favorite bits in this post. I'll start it here:

CHOMPS: Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker" x Soulja Boy's "Pretty Boy Swag" in the track "Get It Get It" gave me a lil' chub.

RAJ: Mixing Radiohead's "Creep" and ODB's "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" is kind of profound, really - same thing with that gorgeous UGK v. John Lennon outro. Kylie Minogue-Young MC and Portishead-Big Boi also fall into the category of shit that should never work but really, really does. Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm enjoying this way more than Feed the Animals. (For the record, Bruce Springsteen vs. N.E.R.D. does NOT work)

NASTY K:All Day is good. Sure. But it seems to lack the spine-tingling, "how the fuck did he know to do that?" moments of Night Ripper or Feed the Animals. Think back to that visionary collision of Notorious B.I.G. and Elton John, or the genuinely moving mashup of "Lollipop" with "Under the Bridge" on the tail-end of Feed the Animals. It's possible that the mashup phenomenon in 2010 is simply played out, and not as revolutionary as it might have been at the end of 2006. Everyone has a computer and can steal the software they need to make this music, resulting in a lot of crappy mashups after Girl Talk's initial success. All Day may not quite equal the punch of the previous two albums, but that said, there are some key moments that speak to Gillis's talents as a pioneer of the genre, and his great musical taste.

I love the highlights Raj suggested, especially the Kylie Minogue bit, but I would add the Twista and U2 moment at the end of "On and On" to my faves. The "Single Ladies" and "Ante Up" mashup in "That's Right" is interesting too, but I'm not sure I wouldn't rather just listen to M.O.P. on their own. In all, a decent listen, and when Girl Talk embarks on his huge tour this fall, I'll probably push and shove to get a better view with all the other sweaty hipsters, but I'm not sure my mind will be as boggled as it was 3 years ago.

TK: Definitely a consistent, well made album that will prove its worth at parties. I second Windowlicker x Pretty Boy Swag and also Paint it Black x Black and Yellow I think is worth mentioning as well. Gregg Gillis should do a Hip Hop side project, I'm interested in what other great things he can do with a sample, perhaps even go back to his Glitch roots and do something with that. If he labels it a side project under a new name I think he wouldn't have the same pressure as releasing a new "Girl Talk" album but with the immediate success of All Day and tours I guess why bother?

B. Parsons:I really expected and hoped that All Day would top Feed the Animals, but it just doesn't. Gillis adds more length to the album but subtracts the madness. I don't wana sound like a hater, it's good, just no FTA or NR. Top 3 "oh shit" moments. B.M.F. x Where's your head at, Paint it Black x Black and Yellow and Possum Kingdom x Get it Ready, Ready x Get Low. In the end it just doesn't flow flawlessly like the prior two albums. Here's to hoping T Bucks is right and he tries a different venture next time around.

4 comments:

  1. it's party in the usa/ante up, boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. putting rihanna's voice over fugazi is heresy. (rude boy vs. waiting room on let it out). leave ian mackaye out the club

    ReplyDelete
  3. somebody help me out with the damn background color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bananarama x Rick Ross anyone? The teflon don apparently needs to start rapping over 80's pop songs.

    ReplyDelete