Wednesday, December 8, 2010

20 10

Looking back on the year that was, one moment stands out above the rest. An event that changed everything I thought I knew about music. This epic transformation appropriately happened at the most epic music festival known to man. Bonnaroo. It was late, 2:30 A.M. late, anxiously awaiting LCD Soundsystem. While wandering in a drug enduced haze I decided it was best to get to the stage extra early, for a good spot of course. When I got my first taste of the devastating noise that is dubstep. The dude performing had a very eery, just hopped out of a swomp look to him. Think the chick from 'The Ring' and you've got Bassnectar. The only thing I could think was, "HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE!?" From that time on I've been hooked. So instead of taking the ordinary best jams of the year. I've decided to switch it up and give you my favorite dubstep tracks of twenty-ten.

Like most of my favorite dubstep songs. They have about a minute long build up with some awesome female vocals. Then, and you know it's coming, the breakdown. I don't even know if that word best describes what happens but you get the point. Flux Pavilion doing what he does best.

Mix of grime with dubstep. No need for words.

BASSHEAD

Coming in a close second as song of the year. Doctor P completely shuts it down.

Best song of the year, dubstep or not, this is my number one. The original by Rusko was alright. Sub Focus transforms this one into a masterpiece. Giving me the sour lemon face each and every time.


Oh yeah, the story unfortunately ends on a shitty note. I ended up being so caked in dirt at what must have been 3:30 at this point and completely drained. That I bitched out and missed LCD Soundsystem, AND I WAITED FOR THEM TO SETUP THE EQUIPMENT. To this day, I hate myself for this.

6 comments:

  1. OK, so you can probably help me with this. What is the difference between grime and dubstep? Is it just that the former usually has rapping and the latter doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wobble overload haha. Forgot about that Sub-Focus jawn, perfect banger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dubstep has all the wobbles, almost too much (i think the trend is gonna play itself out soon), hell, now even daedelus just plays these wobble filled sets, which while fun, clearly take less thought to construct. if it were a spectrum though, yeah, grime is closer to hip hop (think dizzee or sway) and dubstep is rave music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOs5Z8trkHM
    This is why there is dubstep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is probably the least imaginative use of wobbly bass one could find

    ReplyDelete