Monday, December 13, 2010

Nasty K's Nastiest Tracks of 2010

Get nasty. This is the perfect segue into this upcoming week, where the BZNZmen will count down their favorite albums of 2010! My favorite tracks of the year aren't ranked, per se, just sort of tiered. So there's a general progression in this post, better tracks are later on.

Bronze

Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"

What a track. Regine, as usual provides beautiful vocals about suburban sprawl, on Arcade Fire's third LP, an urban planning themed gem. I mean it debuted at number 1 on the billboard charts, but the people in charge don't listen to rock lyrics, and people who listen to Arcade Fire probably feel the same way about dystopian suburbs. It is worth wondering if we can ever get away from the sprawl...

Caribou - "Odessa"

Dan Snaith is a fuckin' wizard, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. His album Swim was sadly snubbed from our list for next week, but deserves a mention, largely for this knockout track.

Gold Panda - "You"

Slammin'. I posted a while back about a remix Gold Panda did of Caribou, so it's only fitting I'd find a way to get them both on my top tracks list.

Silver

Deerhunter - "Helicopter" (Diplo + Lunice Remix)

Bradford Cox singing about his own mortality meets a thundering beat collaboration from the  wizard Diplo, and the up and coming Lunice. Add in this incredible video with footage from Andrey Stvolinsky's Slow Moscow, and you have a truly memorable jam of 2010.

Neon Indian - "Mind, Drips" (Bibio Remix)

So Bibio didn't actually release an album this year, after doing three last year, but this remix punishes. Unlike Jesse, I rode the chillwave pretty hard in the summer of 09, figuring well, if it's 90 degrees, I might as well be listening to something that sounds like a melting cassette. This remix covers so much ground in 4 minutes, integrating even a vicious wobbly bass bridge before concluding beautifully with Bibio's more trademark guitar samples.

LCD Soundsystem - "Dance Yrself Clean"

BEST DRUM INTRO SINCE PHIL COLLINS. Makes me wanna dance so hard I accidentally deck some hipster girl in the face. Some girl Raj claims was the most attractive girl he ever saw...

Gold

Flying Lotus - "Do The Astral Plane"

It's too good. And it makes for a great sing-along. Disco-ey beginnings keep adding layers on until you are dancing so hard you don't notice that FlyLo decided to shred your face with some really gritty electronic textures. Nobody else is making anything that sounds like this.

Big Boi - "Shutterbugg"

Scott Storch comes through with a beat better than any beat on Kanye's new album, and Big Boi steps completely out of Andre 3000's shadow with this banger. I've been listening to it on repeat since April, and have no intention of slowing down. I can't decide between these two...so have em both.

6 comments:

  1. that could have been my top tracks of twenty ten. well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhhhh how do you sing along to "Do the Astral Plane"? Like, "oooh"-ing that one note? Or that "badababababa" part in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man when they played Odessa when I saw them in Beijing last summer

    I danced pretty hard

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw FlyLo, he claimed there was a section you could sing along to, but I'm mostly kidding. Sometimes I like to scat along with it though.

    ReplyDelete