Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dados Negros

That’s Spanish for Black Dice. If you type Dados Negros into google, you find what is not the Black Dice I’m referring to, but rather "Adrian y los dados negros". Venture for yourself. Black Dice hasn’t really been in the news recently, except for a single show in Brooklyn that I missed, but I just feel like dropping some praise for the boys. What started out as a hardcore slam-dance crew, to long-form epic electro-noise jams, to gradually more structured, almost pop-ish noise, to songs called “Ultra Vomit Craze,” these boys have been some of my faves for awhile now. Not straightforwardly accessible, but enough reminiscent of aspects of hip-hop beats, exciting peaks and lows, and some of the best transitions in any songs I’ve ever heard, make Black Dice consistently played on my apple computers products. Keep your eyes out, it’s been over a year since Repo dropped, Eric Copeland’s dropped some mean tracks as of late, so something is hopefully on the horizon. Go grab all of their music that you can via your illegal downloading means, or head over to pawtracks.com or amazon or whatever. Be sure to use above-average headphones and turn it reaaaallllll loud.:



The transition just before the minute mark. MMmmMmmMmmmm



This might be the best youtube video i've ever seen.



FUN!

I've heard horror stories from unsuspecting Animal Collective fans after hearing Black Dice open during the MPP tours. "they were annoying and made me want to shove rocks into my ears." "Not long after opening act Black Dice took the stage, the room sounded like it was going to break apart. Several people actually grimaced and shook their heads as the band let loose song a frantic barrage of sounds." "yeah, i couldn't wait for black dice to be done with their set."

I can understand why people wouldn't like them, but there's a soft spot in my heart. And seeing them live was pretty incredible, all I remember was seeing Raj intermittently and being really, really sweaty afterwards.

Love,
Jesse

Also, go check out Bjorn Copeland's artwork, some rad collages & sculptures up there.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I remember seeing Eric Copeland open for Animal Collective when they did a small tour right before the release of Strawberry Jam in 2007. It was super dope, lots of fuzz and things I could slowly nod my head to. There was this guy there who has shrooming really hard, and had his hands inside his shirt feeling himself up and stuff during the set. Cool beans.

    ReplyDelete