Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tracks of the Year: TK

I'm doing the opposite of Raj. I'm posting only electronic/rap.

Mount Kimbie - "Maybes (James Blake)"
In place of the guitar sample that loops endlessly on the original, we get those wonderful layers of synths that James Blake has become known for. Some of the synths sound as though they're swooping down on us and crashing like waves and others sound like whispers coming clean with some kind of midnight confession. Mix that with some unusual rhythms and obviously some super low frequency bass and what you get is an awesome sense of atmosphere. Even after so many listens I still find myself lost in this song, hopelessly floating around in it, not that I mind.

Actress - "Maze"
It's hard to pick one song off this album, its seems like Actress is exploring a completely new area of electronic music with each track and it's all so exciting. I picked "Maze" because this one haunted me, pretty much made a comfy place to relax in my subconscious and still hasn't left. It first seemed really dark to me but now I'm not too sure, it's really hard to put a finger on it. I guess its mysterious quality is what I find so appealing. Also, whenever I hear the beeping sound of an ATM, this song immediately starts playing in my head.

Grimes - "My Sister Says The Saddest Things"
Squealing guitar, distorted bass, pretty vocals, thumping percussion, all soaked in reverb. What is this? I don't even...Whatever it is, it's full of energy and just plain fun. Truly progressive music.

Ramadanman - "Glut"
A lot of the artists in the whole "post-dubstep" movement have been tagged "chill" or "atmospheric" and moved a bit away from dance-floor bangers. Ramadanman's music is far from chill but still filled with enough space and atmosphere that he's bunched up with all the other post-dupstep people. Now whether post-dupstep is different from dupstep or just another step in evolution of the genre is a question I honestly don't give a shit about. What I know is Ramadanman makes some bangers. Seamlessly blending b-more club, chicago juke, and dubstep in way that gets everybody moving. Glut in particular is highly addictive. Really looking forward to album releases by him and other similar artist who are taking their time to release full albums like Joy Orbison. Well worth the wait and the singles they release keep me satisfied.

Strong Arm Steady - "Chittlins & Pepsi"
What's a year without Madlib? That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment