Friday, January 28, 2011

Demdike Stare - Tryptych



Woke up this morning, had breakfast for my friend's birthday at his fiancee's house, drove back, on what's a nice sunny day, to a dingy cabin down the road. Walk in, grab my computer, check tinymixtapes for the daily music reviews and news and whatnot. I see something new's been EUREKA!ed, so I skim the review, which labels the album as "electronic, dark ambient, experimental, dub(step?)." And while I'm not as big a fan of electronic music as many of the other bloggers here, I do enjoy ambience and experimentalism quite a bit. So I google "Demdike Stare Tryptych mediafire," and I can't really find what I'm looking for. But then I find that, surprisingly enough, NPR is streaming the whole album on their First Listen site. So I check it out, read the blurb saying that it's not witch house, but it's creepy. So I pop in my earbuds so as to not awake the other person sleeping on the other couch in the living room, and here we go.

The first two songs total to about 25 minutes, but it's got enough swirling background noise next to the straightforward drumbeat to keep me interested. It's ambient for sure, but catchy enough to attract a follower. And then it sounds like horror-dubstep (Forest of Evil (Dawn) at about 5:00 gives a little taste of dubstep before it falls apart back into whatever this is), and then it's piano tinklings, then it's straightforward pulsing, it's overall pretty interesting. Why is music like this getting cool now? Makes you think if Liars had released They Were Wrong So We Drowned today rather than 2004, they'd be seen as heroes of witch-core-art-punk or whatever we're shifting into these days. Anywho, head over to NPR and stream this bad boy before it gets taken away on February 1st, then look for it elsewhere (I'm pretty sure it drops on the 1st, too).

If you don't want to listen all the way through the 3 discs right now, I recommend the "Forest of Evil" suite, "Caged in Stammheim," and "Repository of Light" for some nice samples.

Demdike Stare - Tryptych

No comments:

Post a Comment