Monday, April 25, 2011

April Mudmix/DJ Troubl



Yes, I put up a mix last week, but it was pretty last minute. Also, I should have put the link to DJ Troubl's Journey Into Fresh Diggin': Quasimoto Meets Himself. The definitive Quasimoto/Madlib mix, goes through tons of Lord Quas tracks and beautifully mixes up the tracks that Madlib sampled in making the beats. I still listen to this mix at least once a month, and it is just too perfect. Cop it here.

NOW for the April mix. Here at school it's crunch time for me. Junior year, I've got about 40 more pages to write over the next 2 weeks. Things are going well, and I'm actually interested in what I'm writing about. Nonetheless, it's always hard to pick the right music to listen to when you're stressed out of your mind but have to get words on paper (or Microsoft Word). One thing I've found is that, as much as I like 3-5 minute songs, they can be dangerously distractive. A verse, a chorus, a catchy breakdown, sometimes it's just too much. So here's a mix of my study aids. When I need something in my ears, something enjoyable, something interesting, but something that is loooong. So the theme for this mix is that the songs are all over 10 minutes long. I usually put these mixes up as one long .mp3 file, but mediafire doesn't allow files larger than 200 mb. The 11 songs here added up to 250 mb and 2.5 hours of music. Genres vary, though I tried to pick out ones that aren't tooabrasive. Tracklist as follows, arranged in order of decreasing length.

Boredoms - Seadrum - One of my biggest regrets in life is not driving up to New York on 7/7/07 for 77 Boadrum. Blasting this is the closest I’ll get. 23 minutes.
Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O – Psycho Buddha - Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 22 minutes
John Coltrane - Om, Part 2 – I would have put Ascension on this, but 40 minutes is pushing it. 14 minutes.
Keiji Haino & Tatsuya Yoshida - At the instant when one thinks – I would have put up やらないが できないことに なってゆく, but it’s 68 minutes long. There are also some really catchy parts of this one and Tatsuya’s drumming is killer too. 12 minutes.
Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Myth Science Solar Arkestra - Sleeping Beauty – A nice mellow jam. 12 minutes
Little Women - Throat IV – The most listenable on the album. 11.5 minutes.
Mount Eerie - Through The Trees – Therapeutic. 11.5 minutes.
The Unicorns – Haunted House [Live at The Earl] - Punched that gator. Storytellers. 11.5 mintues.
Jim O’Rourke - I'm Happy – Blips n’ junk. 11 minutes.
Gang Gang Dance – The Earthquake That Frees Prisoners drony then wacky. 11 minutes.
Comets on Fire - Blue Tomb – A nice burner from the band I wish was still active. Blue Cathedral is an incredible album, please go buy it. The transition at 8:01 is so good. 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. ...

    ...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQifd7O_N5k

    ReplyDelete
  2. raj i hope your youtube username is alba444

    ReplyDelete