Tuesday, May 10, 2011

SRS Trax: "Holdin on to Black Metal" - My Morning Jacket

Used the single artwork because the album cover is a just like a lame spaceship or something. (BZNZmen, add scores as you see fit.)



"Holding on to Black Metal" - My Morning Jacket (mp3)
(5.33)

RAJ: My theory about My Morning Jacket is that Jim James totally freaked out in 2007 when Fleet Foxes showed up and started doing the Appalachian folk rock thing as good/better than his own band, which prompted his own band's left turn into awesome synth-pop and whatever-the-hell-this-is on Evil Urges. And except for your occasional peanut-butter pudding surprise, this was a positive development! Because now, My Morning Jacket is the kind of band that will take a 60s Thai soul song and twist it into an exultant horn-fueled tribute to black metal. And maybe it's a little too repetitive and the vocals could have used a little more oomph, but it's still a 60s Thai soul song twisted into an exultant horn-fueled tribute to black metal! (7)

ANDY: Why not? But also, why? This song is fine, but after listening once, I'm not sure I hear anything interesting enough to make me want to listen again. Just listen to Neil fucking YOUNG. (5)

JESSE: I'd rather just listen to black metal. (5)

No comments:

Post a Comment