Sunday, May 15, 2011

SRS TRAX: "KMAG YOYO" - Hayes Carll

It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Tripping)



Hayes Carll - "KMAG YOYO" (mp3)
(4.3)

RAJ: Hayes Carll has an intense Dylan fetish, and musically, this is totally just "Subterranean Homesick Blues" with more fuzz pedal. But this is one hell of a narrative, tracking a pissant kid's journey from small-town hick to Afghanistan army-man to drug dealer (the titular acronym - "Kiss my ass, guys, you're on your own") to lab rat . Drug-induced hallucinations come into play as the story progresses, but where exactly those hallucinations start and end is an open question. (8)

ANDY: Reduces the geopolitical issues of our time to a barely listenable parody/novelty song. Why should I care about this? (2)

JESSE: Better than this, but then again, what isn't? I can't really pay attention to the lyrics when it sounds like something I should be hearing performed at WMZQfest. (3)

4 comments:

  1. HOW DARE HE PARODY GEOPOLITICAL ISSUES???

    ReplyDelete
  2. also can't a bro just play some guitar u guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gets an 8 but Mindkilla gets a 6? That's a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just feel like it's more of a liberal sounding tony keith than anything else, and that's just not my thing man, just not my thing. love guitar tho xoxo

    ReplyDelete